How to Get xDai
Last updated: October 26th, 2021
Since xDai is based on the EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine), any Ethereum account can also be used on the xDai chain. This means that if you have an Ethereum account, you also have an xDai account and can get started!
If you don’t have an Ethereum account or want a new one specifically for xDai, it’s going to be best to get set up with MetaMask because most (if not all) xDai dapps support it, and many other wallet applications don’t have proper consideration built out for networks other than Ethereum. Yet.
Note that you’ll have to add xDai as a custom network to MetaMask before continuing. The official guide for this is easy to follow.
Getting Funds Onto the xDai Network
There are two methods for getting cryptocurrency on the xDai network. You can bridge cryptocurrency that you already have from Ethereum (or from BSC, another sidechain), or you can use a fiat (cash) onramp.
Using an xDai Bridge
There are a few bridges that you can use to transfer crypto to xDai from another network.
- The xDai Bridge connects the Ethereum network to the xDai network and allows for the conversion of Ethereum Dai to xDai Chain xDai, and vice versa.
- The Ethereum Omnibridge is similar to the xDai Bridge but allows for the conversion of Ethereum ERC20 tokens to their respective xDai Chain ERC20 token, and vice versa.
- The Binance Smart Chain OmniBridge is currently in beta and allows for the conversion of Binance Smart Chain (BSC) ERC20 tokens to their respective xDai Chain ERC20 token, and vice versa.
Using a Fiat Onramp
There are currently two fiat onramps you can use to go directly from cash (fiat) to the xDai network. These can be helpful and offset the gas fees you’d pay if you were onboarding to xDai via a bridge. However, fiat onramps can be finicky, have tons of restrictions, and involve KYC, which can be a deal-breaker for some.
- Ramp Network is one of many fiat onramps in the industry but is seemingly the only one that directly supports xDai chain purchases. You can use Ramp to go from fiat to xDai within 40 countries using a debit card or bank transfer.
- The Mt Pelerin Bridge Wallet application also recently announced support for direct fiat to xDai chain purchases and should have a process similar to any other fiat onramp.
MyCrypto does not endorse any of the above applications. Please do your own research before interacting with any of these.