How to Access Your Wallet with a Mnemonic Phrase
Last updated: 2019-07-19
We do not recommend that you access your wallet via mnemonic phrase.
Mnemonic phrases are vulnerable for two reasons:
- Using a mnemonic phrase requires you to either physically type it into the website or copy & paste to access the wallet. If you enter this information into a phishing website, your funds WILL BE STOLEN.
They are not recoverable if lost or stolen
- MyCrypto does not store any information. We only have access to information that is publicly available on the blockchain. Hardware wallets at least give you a chance to restore your wallet if you lose the device using the 12-word seed phrase, if you have backed it up correctly.
- If you forget the mnemonic phrase or lose the file where you saved it, there is no guarantee that you will ever gain access back to the wallet.
Accessing your wallet
MyCrypto does not allow you to use the web application to access your mnemonic phrase. Instead, you have to download the MyCrypto desktop app. A more detailed explanation of why we decided on this change can be found here.
- Follow our guide on running MyCrypto offline and locally.
- Open the MyCrypto desktop application.
- The "View & Send" tab will appear. Click "Mnemonic Phrase."
- Enter your mnemonic phrase. If you entered a password when you created the wallet, enter that as well. Failure to do so can change the list of addresses that you can access.
- Click "Choose address" and your list of wallets will show up.